My first 2 bases of figures painted as French Napoleonic and they have come out great.
I will change the sequence of colours (the FMS blog was very helpful) I paint them in, but otherwise they were easy to paint and these bases took 20 minutes. Mass painting will be quicker as a lot of time was spent changing colours. One thing I had to suppress, was the urge to paint more details.
40mm Epic infantry base (on the left) and 2 to 1.Napoleonic Infantry 40mm Beta (right)
I think the Epic infantry bases are the ones I will concentrate print out as I find them easier to paint and they print better.
Wow, those are great! I've never seen anyone actually paint the webbing on the figures before. Those might be the best painted example of my figs so far. Do you mind if I post those up on the 2mm Facebook group?
Designer and owner of Forward March Studios: The World's first comprehensive range of 3D printed historic miniatures.
I've finally based up a painted unit after modifying some Epic infantry to make skirmish bases. I need to add a area at the back of the base to hold a die and base label. Also the edges could be better and next time I'll fill the gaps, but the finished base looks amazing and I'm very pleased.
BTW I saw you post of my figures on facebook and some of the nice comments. Heres's a screenshot of the skirmishers which are based on the Epic infantry. As you can see I just removed a few ranks and mucked around with different bases. Sometimes they print a bit misshapen, which works well as i can use that to paint on rifles where the messy bits are!
I'f anyone wants these of the other Austrian infantry I'm happy to upload the stl files. Looking at the closeup I can see a few imperfections i need to fix up first.
If you'd like to share those and upload them that'd be awesome. Those are some really good looking mods. I still can't believe the level of detail you managed to get onto those French! Looking forward to see the Austrians painted up!
Those skirmishers are also really well done. It's harder to get skirmishers in the correct density than many people realize. And at 1:1 it's really tricky. It took me forever to get some consensus from the online Historical Wargame Brain Trust about how 1:1 French skirmish lines should look. Of course, I didn't have a copy of Swords Around a Throne at that time : )
I've uploaded these into my Austrian infantry thread in the lab section. As I mentioned I went for what looks good so if there is some historical density, then it is pure luck. The good thing it you can easily snip a few figures off the base to change the layout.
Now its time to start this project off properly. The plan is to build forces refight all the major European Napoleonic battles using Sam Mustafa's "Grand Armee" rules.
I managed to find some storage boxes at the local "Made in Japan" shop so I picked up 2 colour co-ordinated boxes for each army - Yellow - Austrian, Blue - French , Red - British, and I have some clear boxes for other nations.
Also I chopped up about 120 40x40mm bases for the Infantry and Cavalry units and 40 20x40mm bases for the artillery. I don't think it will be enough but it will keep me going.
PS: I've started threads on Lead Adventure forum and The Wargames website. I'm still deciding if I create a blog as well for this as it doesn't really fit on my 6mm wargaming site.