The next set of bases I've finished is 4 bases of Austrian Napoleonic Grenadiers. The figures are the FMS “2 to 1” figures which with the taller pointy hats, suit the Austrian bearskin hats better. They look a little plain from the front with flags or skirmishers but i used a number of different colours on their bearskin hats, to represent the different parent regiments. Also I painted some with blue pants to show the Hungarian regiments.
The next batch of figures are complete - about 650 of them including white crossbelts!
Looking at French OOBs for Wagram and Aspern it seems that there was often a light brigade per corp (well at least for the Grande Armee rules).
So I painted 5 bases worth of Light infantry brigades.
The figures were given a medium blue watered down coat over a white undercoat. Next I painted the backpacks and then blacked out the heads. the next strep was to paint the face, gold shako plate and a green pom-pom, followed by touchups. However the figures looked very plain at this point, so I came up with the crazy idea to paint the white belts on the figures. I used a very fine brush and painted "X"s on the front of the figures in the front rank. This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and the figures looked much better.
Its been a while as its summer here and I was away on a long camping trip.
I've finally cracked my first batch of cavalry - 12 strips of French Dragoons (but only 5 in the photo)
Very happy with them and I even managed to paint the white crossbelts on the backs. Its hard to tell as I realised that the figures are shiny and haven't been given a matt varnish yet. I found the best way when painting to avoid going over parts again, is to start by painting the horses and then the legs and body before moving onto the face and headgear.
Also I remembered to use my light box so the lighting is much more intense!
Next up some more heavys in the form of French Curassiers and Carabiners, and some buildings.
Next up is a sample batch of 2mm buildings from the Forward March range. I found these hard to paint and the windows gave me a lot of grief, but they were early prints, so the quality was not so good.
Also I have to figure out how to model towns and cities and Zachs pictures of his cities are very inspiring. I want to make them reasonable flexible but still have some of the smaller details like walls and hedges. I have lots 1.9mm plywood for bases I my initial thoughts are a mix of different shaped bases (that can interlock) with some features such as castle walls, bridges, rivers with lots of space to add buildings.
Looking good! I agree- the windows can be difficult. What I normally do is daub them in with black paint, not caring if I get any one the outside of the building. After it dries, I paint quickly over the walls of the building, not exactly dry-brushing, so that the windows stay blackened. I love the doors you've added in these pictures! I also really like that two-tone building you did- I might steal that idea for later...
As far as city-scapes go, as long as you have lots of buildings it will work out. The real trick is volume. But if you have volume plus details, that will really look great.
Designer and owner of Forward March Studios: The World's first comprehensive range of 3D printed historic miniatures.