Post by biker500 on Jan 18, 2020 20:56:12 GMT
I have just printed out a few of the codes from the FMS library on my ELEGOO MARS resin printer, and they look really nice! I'll post a photo later as I have to reduce the photo's file size first.
Anyway, I was thinking that since my MARS printer is much better resolution than my older FDM printer I'd like to have figures with a little more detail in them, so I've been playing with OpenSCAD 3D modeller to see what I could come up with, Here are a couple of pics of my work so far:
I still need to add musket and arms, but am reasonably happy with my modelling skills so far :-) I don't want to add too much detail, as after all, the figure is only just over 2mm tall, but I would find them easier to paint with some detail on. Also, I have made the legs articulated (and will make the arms the same) so that I can make different poses for the figures, such as march attack, and kneeling for skirmishers, etc.
I am a bit worried that the resulting figure will be too fragile around the ankles, so I may have to replace the legs with larger cylinders for strength.
My new project is to do the battle of Wagram with Polemos Marshal d'Empire rules, substituting cm for inches, so an infantry or cavalry base is 3cm square, and the whole scenario can be fought on a 4 ft x 4 ft table. I already have a few infantry and cavalry bases made up from an unfinished Volley and Bayonet project I started years ago, using Irregular's 2mm figure blocks. To this end, I will probably create 3cm x 3cm 3D printable bases, featuring several infantry battalions, plus skirmishers at the front edge where appropriate, and maybe some battalion guns for the Austrian bases. I'll probably use the FMS Library designs to populate the bases, once I figure out how to include them in OpenSCAD modelling software.
I intend to do the terrain as 4 2ft x 2ft tiles, using 6mm MDF so I can cut into it for streams and rivers, and add another layer or 2 for hills etc. I'll definitely be printing some of the buildings from the FMS Library for this project! I'll post updates as work progresses!